Letter Writing is an important writing skill for students preparing for the Maharashtra State Board HSC English examination. Understanding the correct format, language, tone and presentation can help students write effective answers and avoid common mistakes.
In this complete guide, you will learn the HSC English Letter Writing format, types of letters, formal and informal letter examples, important topics, useful phrases, common mistakes and exam preparation tips.
What is Letter Writing?
A letter is a written form of communication used to share information, make a request, express an opinion, give information or communicate with a person or organisation.
In HSC English, students should understand the difference between formal letters and informal letters. The language, tone and format should be selected according to the purpose and receiver of the letter.
Types of Letters for HSC English
The two broad types of letters students should understand are:
- Formal Letter
- Informal Letter
Formal Letter Writing
A formal letter is written to an official, organisation, authority, newspaper, institution or other professional recipient.
Common purposes include:
- Making a complaint
- Making a request
- Giving suggestions
- Applying for something
- Seeking information
- Writing to an authority
- Writing to the editor of a newspaper
Formal Letter Format for HSC English
A formal letter can be organised in the following order:
- Sender's address
- Date
- Receiver's address
- Subject
- Salutation
- Introduction
- Main body
- Conclusion
- Complimentary close
- Name and designation, if required
Basic Formal Letter Template
Sender's Address
__________
__________
Date: __________
Receiver's Address
__________
__________
Subject: __________
Respected Sir/Madam,
I am writing this letter to __________.
Explain the main issue, request, complaint or purpose clearly. Give relevant details and supporting points.
Conclude the letter politely by stating what action or response you expect.
Yours faithfully,
Name
Example of Formal Letter
Letter to the Municipal Commissioner About Poor Road Conditions
24, Shivaji Nagar,
Jalgaon,
Maharashtra.
11 August 2026
The Municipal Commissioner,
Municipal Corporation,
Jalgaon.
Subject: Request for repair of damaged roads in our locality
Respected Sir/Madam,
I am a resident of Shivaji Nagar and would like to draw your attention to the poor condition of the roads in our locality.
The roads have developed several potholes and become difficult to use, especially during the rainy season. The damaged roads are causing traffic problems and increasing the risk of accidents. School students, senior citizens and two-wheeler riders are particularly affected.
I request the concerned authorities to inspect the roads and arrange for their repair at the earliest. Proper maintenance and drainage facilities would also help prevent the problem from recurring.
I hope that immediate action will be taken in the interest of the residents.
Yours faithfully,
A Resident
Letter to the Editor
Letter to the Editor is an important type of formal letter in which a writer raises an issue of public interest through a newspaper.
Common Topics for Letters to the Editor
- Road accidents
- Air pollution
- Water shortage
- Plastic pollution
- Traffic problems
- Noise pollution
- Importance of road safety
- Mobile phone addiction
- Cyber safety
- Environmental protection
Example: Letter to the Editor About Plastic Pollution
12, Gandhi Nagar,
Nashik,
Maharashtra.
11 August 2026
The Editor,
The Daily News,
Nashik.
Subject: Increasing problem of plastic pollution
Sir/Madam,
Through the columns of your esteemed newspaper, I wish to draw attention to the increasing problem of plastic pollution in our city.
Plastic bags and other single-use plastic items are frequently thrown on roads, near drains and in public places. They create unhygienic conditions and can also block drainage systems. Plastic waste also causes serious environmental problems when it is not disposed of properly.
Citizens should be encouraged to use reusable bags and avoid unnecessary plastic products. The authorities should also ensure proper waste collection and create awareness about responsible waste disposal.
I hope your newspaper will highlight this issue and encourage citizens and authorities to take appropriate action.
Yours faithfully,
A Concerned Citizen
Informal Letter Writing
An informal letter is generally written to friends, relatives or people with whom the writer has a personal relationship.
The language can be friendly and personal, unlike a formal letter.
Informal Letter Format
- Sender's address
- Date
- Salutation
- Opening paragraph
- Main content
- Closing paragraph
- Friendly closing
- Name
Example of Informal Letter
Letter to a Friend About Examination Preparation
25, Station Road,
Jalgaon,
Maharashtra.
11 August 2026
Dear Rahul,
I hope you are doing well. I received your letter in which you asked me about my preparation for the upcoming examination.
My preparation is going well. I have prepared a timetable and divided the syllabus into smaller sections. I study difficult subjects during the morning when I can concentrate better. I also solve previous question papers and revise important topics regularly.
I suggest that you should also prepare a realistic timetable and avoid unnecessary distractions while studying. Do not forget to take short breaks and get enough sleep.
Give my regards to your parents. I hope we both perform well in the examination.
Yours lovingly,
Arjun
Important Letter Writing Topics for HSC English
Formal Letter Topics
- Letter to the Municipal Commissioner about damaged roads
- Letter to the Editor about pollution
- Letter to the Editor about road accidents
- Letter to the authorities about water shortage
- Letter requesting improvement of public transport
- Letter about poor cleanliness in the locality
- Letter about traffic problems
- Letter about plastic pollution
- Letter about noise pollution
- Letter requesting better facilities in a public area
Informal Letter Topics
- Letter to a friend about examination preparation
- Letter inviting a friend to a birthday celebration
- Letter describing a memorable trip
- Letter advising a friend about time management
- Letter encouraging a friend before an examination
- Letter describing a school event
- Letter about the importance of reading
- Letter about healthy habits
Useful Phrases for Formal Letters
- I wish to draw your attention towards...
- Through the columns of your esteemed newspaper...
- I would like to bring to your notice...
- I request the concerned authorities to...
- I hope that immediate action will be taken...
- I shall be grateful if you...
- I request you to look into the matter...
- I hope you will consider this request...
Useful Phrases for Informal Letters
- I hope you are doing well.
- It was wonderful to hear from you.
- I am very happy to tell you that...
- I was delighted to hear that...
- I would like to share something with you.
- Please convey my regards to your parents.
- Write back soon.
- Take care and stay healthy.
Formal vs Informal Letter
| Formal Letter | Informal Letter |
|---|---|
| Written to officials or organisations | Written to friends and relatives |
| Formal and polite language | Friendly and personal language |
| Subject is generally included | Subject is generally not required |
| Purpose is official | Purpose is personal |
| Uses formal closing | Uses friendly closing |
How to Write a High-Scoring Letter
1. Read the Question Carefully
First understand who you are writing to, why you are writing and what information must be included.
2. Follow the Correct Format
Incorrect placement of the address, date, subject or salutation can affect the overall presentation. Practise the format before the examination.
3. Keep the Content Relevant
Do not write unrelated information. Every paragraph should support the purpose of the letter.
4. Use Appropriate Tone
A formal letter should sound respectful and professional. An informal letter can be friendly and conversational.
5. Divide the Letter into Paragraphs
Use separate paragraphs for the introduction, main points and conclusion. This makes the answer easier to read.
6. Check Grammar and Spelling
Before submitting your answer, check spelling, punctuation, sentence structure and commonly confused words.
Common Mistakes in HSC Letter Writing
- Using an incorrect format
- Forgetting the subject in a formal letter
- Using informal language in an official letter
- Writing unnecessary information
- Repeating the same point
- Using very long sentences
- Forgetting the closing
- Not addressing the correct recipient
- Ignoring the purpose given in the question
- Not checking spelling and grammar
Letter Writing Quick Revision Formula
For a formal letter, remember:
Address → Date → Receiver → Subject → Salutation → Introduction → Main Body → Conclusion → Closing → Name
For an informal letter, remember:
Address → Date → Salutation → Introduction → Main Body → Conclusion → Friendly Closing → Name
Frequently Asked Questions About HSC Letter Writing
What is the format of Letter Writing for HSC English?
The format depends on the type of letter. A formal letter generally includes the sender's address, date, receiver's address, subject, salutation, body, conclusion and complimentary close.
What is the difference between formal and informal letters?
A formal letter is written for official or professional purposes, while an informal letter is written to friends, relatives or people with whom you have a personal relationship.
How should I start a formal letter?
Begin with the appropriate format, followed by a formal salutation such as “Respected Sir/Madam” or another suitable form depending on the recipient.
How should I end a formal letter?
A formal letter can be ended with a suitable complimentary close such as “Yours faithfully” followed by the writer's name.
What topics should I practise for HSC Letter Writing?
Students should practise topics related to pollution, roads, traffic, water shortage, public facilities, education, examination preparation, health, environment and other common social issues.
Final Tips for Maharashtra HSC Students
Letter Writing becomes easier when you practise the format and understand the purpose of different types of letters.
- Read the question carefully.
- Identify the sender and receiver.
- Understand the purpose of the letter.
- Use the correct format.
- Maintain the appropriate tone.
- Write clear and relevant points.
- Use separate paragraphs.
- Check grammar and spelling.
- Leave sufficient time for revision.
Conclusion
Letter Writing for HSC English Maharashtra Board can become an easy and scoring writing skill when students understand the correct format and practise different types of questions.
Focus on the purpose of the letter, use suitable language, organise your ideas into clear paragraphs and follow the required format. Regular practice of formal letters, letters to the editor and informal letters can help you write confidently in the HSC English examination.


0 Comments