Email Writing is an essential skill for students preparing for the HSC English examination of the Maharashtra State Board. Today, emails are widely used for both formal and informal communication.
In this article, you will learn about the HSC English Email Writing format, how to write a formal email with suitable phrases, solved examples, important topics, common mistakes and useful examination tips.
What is Email Writing?
An email is an electronic message transmitted through the internet. Email writing can be used for formal communication with organisations, authorities, schools, colleges and companies, as well as for informal communication with friends and relatives.
For HSC English, students should understand the purpose, receiver, subject, language, tone and content while writing an email.
HSC English Email Writing Format
A proper formal email can be composed using the following format:
- To: Email address of the receiver
- Subject: A short and clear description of the purpose of the email
- Salutation: Dear Sir/Madam or another suitable salutation
- Introduction: Clearly state the purpose of writing the email
- Main Body: Explain the main issue, request or purpose in detail
- Conclusion: Clearly state the required response or action
- Closing: Yours faithfully, Regards or another suitable closing
- Name: Name of the sender
Simple Email Writing Format
To: receiver@gmail.com
Subject: Request regarding __________
Dear Sir/Madam,
I am writing this email to __________.
Explain the purpose clearly and concisely. Add all the important information given in the question.
I kindly request you to look into this matter and take the necessary action.
Yours faithfully,
Your Name
Tips to Write Email for HSC English
1. Write a Clear Subject
The subject should state the purpose of writing the email clearly and concisely.
Example: Request for Improvement of Library Facilities
2. Use the Appropriate Salutation
A formal email can start with:
Dear Sir/Madam,
3. State the Purpose Clearly in the Introduction
The introduction should clearly state the purpose of the email. Keep the introduction short and precise.
4. State the Issue or Request in the Main Body
Mention all the necessary supporting points, relevant facts and details in the main body. Avoid unnecessary information.
5. Clearly State the Required Action
If the email is a complaint or request, clearly mention the action you expect from the receiver in the concluding paragraph.
6. End the Email Politely
The email can be ended with Yours faithfully, Regards or another suitable closing.
Email Writing Example 1: Complaint About Road Conditions
To: commissioner@gmail.com
Subject: Complaint Regarding Poor Road Conditions in Our Area
Dear Sir/Madam,
I am a resident of Shivaji Nagar and I would like to bring to your kind notice the poor condition of the roads in our area.
The roads in Shivaji Nagar have several potholes and become flooded during the rainy season. As a result, there are frequent road accidents and traffic jams in the area. School students, senior citizens and two-wheeler riders are among those most affected by the poor road conditions.
I kindly request the concerned authority to inspect the roads and take necessary action to fill the potholes and provide a proper drainage system. This will help prevent road accidents, traffic jams and waterlogging during the monsoon season.
I hope that the necessary action will be taken at the earliest.
Yours faithfully,
Rahul Patil
Email Writing Example 2: Request for Improvement in Library Facilities
To: principal@gmail.com
Subject: Request for Improvement of Library Facilities
Respected Sir/Madam,
I am a student of Class XII and I would like to request you to improve the library facilities of our college.
The library of our college is an important place for students. However, it lacks the latest reference books and competitive examination books. The seating arrangement, availability of study material and access to online resources can also be improved to make the library more student-friendly.
I would like to request you to consider our suggestions and take necessary steps to improve the library facilities of our college.
Thank you for your kind consideration.
Yours faithfully,
A Student
Email Writing Example 3: Application for a Part-Time Job
To: hr@gmail.com
Subject: Application for Part-Time Content Writing Job
Dear Sir/Madam,
I am writing to apply for the part-time content writing job advertised by your organisation.
I am currently pursuing higher education and have a good command of the English language. I have a good understanding of grammar and can prepare informative and engaging content for readers. I also have basic knowledge of computers and software related to content writing.
I will be grateful if my application for the part-time content writing position is considered and I am given an opportunity to appear for an interview.
Yours faithfully,
Amit Sharma
Important Email Writing Topics for HSC English
- Email to the Municipal Commissioner about road conditions
- Email to the Editor about pollution
- Email requesting improvement of school or college facilities
- Email regarding water shortage
- Email about poor public transport
- Email requesting information about an educational programme
- Email applying for a part-time job
- Email requesting leave permission from college or school
- Email about a cleanliness campaign
- Email regarding a blood donation camp
- Email inviting someone to a school programme
- Email requesting information about a course
Essential Phrases for Formal Emails
- I am writing to bring to your kind notice...
- I would like to draw your attention to...
- I wish to inform you that...
- I kindly request you to...
- I would be grateful if you could...
- I request the concerned authorities to...
- I hope that necessary action will be taken...
- I look forward to your positive response.
- Thank you for your kind consideration.
Difference Between Formal Email and Informal Email
| Formal Email | Informal Email |
|---|---|
| Written to authorities, organisations and institutions | Written to friends and relatives |
| Uses formal language | Uses friendly and personal language |
| Requires a clear subject | Subject may be informal depending on the situation |
| Uses standard salutation and closing | Salutation and closing can be flexible |
| Formal and professional tone | Friendly and conversational tone |
Common Mistakes in Email Writing
- Using a blank or irrelevant subject
- Using an incorrect email address


0 Comments