Letter Writing Format for Class 10 and 12 (Formal and Informal, with Examples)
Letter writing is an important part of the English syllabus for Class 10 and Class 12 students. Whether it is a Board exam or a school test, questions on formal and informal letters appear almost every year. In this post, we will cover the correct format, important tips, and solved examples for both types of letters.
Types of Letters
There are mainly two types of letters asked in exams:
- Formal Letters – written to authorities, editors, principals, officials, etc.
- Informal Letters – written to friends, relatives, or family members.
Formal Letter Format
A formal letter should always follow this structure:
- Sender's Address (top left)
- Date (below the address)
- Receiver's Address
- Subject line (one line, summarising the purpose)
- Salutation (e.g., Sir/Madam)
- Body (divided into 3 paragraphs – introduction, main content, conclusion)
- Complimentary close (e.g., Yours faithfully)
- Sender's name
Example: Formal Letter to the Principal Requesting Leave
123, Green Park
New Delhi
12 August 2026The Principal
Delhi Public School
New DelhiSubject: Application for sick leave
Sir,
I am a student of Class 10-B of your school. I am writing to inform you that I am suffering from high fever and have been advised complete bed rest by my doctor for three days. I request you to kindly grant me leave from 13 August to 15 August 2026.
I have attached the medical certificate for your reference. I shall be highly obliged.
Yours faithfully,
Rohan Sharma
Informal Letter Format
An informal letter is more relaxed and personal. It includes:
- Sender's Address
- Date
- Salutation (e.g., Dear Ravi)
- Body (friendly and conversational tone)
- Complimentary close (e.g., Yours lovingly)
- Sender's name
Example: Informal Letter to a Friend About Exam Preparation
45, Model Town
Chandigarh
12 August 2026Dear Aman,
How are you? I hope you are doing well. I am writing to share how my exam preparation is going. I have completed the Economics syllabus and am now focusing on English grammar.
How is your preparation going? Do let me know if you need any help with Maths, since I have finished that too.
Take care and best of luck for the exams.
Yours lovingly,
Priya
Quick Tips to Score Full Marks
- Always underline the subject line in formal letters.
- Keep the language simple and to the point.
- Do not exceed the word limit (usually 100–150 words).
- Use proper punctuation and paragraph breaks.
- Practise at least 5 formats of each type before your exam.
Conclusion
Mastering the letter writing format is one of the easiest ways to score full marks in the English writing section. Practice both formal and informal formats regularly, and you will find this section becomes one of your strongest areas in the exam.
Related: Check out our other English writing guides on Dialogue Writing and Grammar sections.

0 Comments